Originally conceived as a private residence, Serralves Villa and the surrounding Park resulted from a project commissioned by the second Count of Vizela, Carlos Alberto Cabral (1895−1968) for the grounds of what used to be the family's summer farm in the vicinity of Porto.
Designed and built between 1925 and 1944, the Villa is considered the most notable example of an art deco building in Portugal, having been classified as a Building of Public Interest in 1996. In 2012 the set of built and natural heritage of the Serralves Foundation received the National Monument status.
The authorship of the architectural design of the Villa can, with some caution, be attributed to the French architect Charles Siclis, and to José Marques da Silva, the famous architect of Porto at the time, who was closely associated with the work, throughout his entire career.
In addition, the intervention of the architects and decorators of Casa Ruhlmann, who was entrusted with the interior design.